Waterproofing this bathroom was of main concern. They know that they wanted to waterproof the floors for better cleanability. We also discussed waterproofing window sills and mirror ledges to keep water from pooling in these areas as well. To resolve the waterproofing floor concern, I proposed the DitraXL waterproofing floor membrane along with wainscot tile on the walls that also had waterproofing membrane behind it. We did stand-off mirrors with only ¾” backsplash at the vanities so that any moisture from a hot shower would run-off onto the countertop as opposed the drywall where it could create mold issues. For the windows sills, we removed existing wood sills and replaced these with ¾” solid surface material to make these easier to wipe down. We also installed a mop spout in the shower area to be able to fill up a bucket for cleaning as well.
One of the walls was constructed unevenly, so we removed and rebuilt it. We had to clean out the shower drain assembly from the previous contractors work to allow for proper drainage.
The shower and sinks remained in the same locations, but we construct the new vanities to be wall-mounted for easy cleanability underneath, which also allowed for a tile substrate as opposed a wood vanity toe kick. Because we did wall-mounted vanities, we featured this with under cabinet lighting that the homeowner now uses as a night light. We also did lighting on the stairs. We upgraded the shower to have fixed head, rain head, handheld shower, and mop spout for more multifunctional use. We also added grab bar and wall-mounted seat for some aging in place options. We did go back and forth between covering the sides of the vanity with solid surface material (where it meets the tub deck) versus leaving the natural walnut wood sides exposed. Aesthetics won this battle!