When you’ve lived in the same Northern Virginia home for several years, you can grow accustomed to making small concessions to your comfort over time. Whether it’s feeling cramped, having several children sharing a room, or losing your coveted hobby space to the new nursery, at some point you’ll need to make a change. Staying in your home doesn’t have to be stressful. If your home seems to be bursting at the seams, it’s time to make it a bit bigger.
Home additions can range from a new garage to a backyard deck to adding bedrooms on to the back of the house. A second story can also alleviate the stress from having too many people in too small of a space. If you’re not sure whether you need a home addition, check out this list of 12 signs that it’s time to make your house bigger.
1. The number of people in your household has increased since you moved into it.
2. You find yourself tripping over furniture and furnishings in your walking path.
3. Family members sharing a room are frequently finding things to fight about, from who owns the right-hand side of the closet to whether or not the light should be turned on or off at bedtime. If you see lines drawn down the middle of the bedroom floor, it’s definitely time for a home addition.
4. There is a constant shuffle over the order of where the cars are parked, making you late for work when you can’t get out of your own driveway. You need a garage – or a bigger one.
5. There aren’t enough places for everyone to sit together during meals.
6. Your older parents are coming to live with you.
7. You don’t have a place where everyone in the family can comfortably gather at once without someone having to stand or just sit on the floor.
8. Your adult child is moving back into your empty nest and you’ve already converted the bedroom into another room.
9. Your back yard holds little or no interest.
10. Every closet is full, and there’s no room for any new furnishings.
11. You could work at home if only there was a suitable place for an office.
12. You wistfully look at other people’s houses and wish yours was more like theirs.
If you would like to talk about ideas for remodeling or renovating your home in Fairfax, Mclean, Springfield, Woodbridge, Alexandria, Arlington, and Falls Church VA, reach out to us at Foster Remodeling. Call now for a free consultation!