Here’s What To Expect When Remodeling Your Home.
Remodeling your NOVA home is an exciting opportunity to update your living spaces for style, comfort and practicality. While we all look forward to picking cabinetry, countertops, flooring and more, there are so many remodeling costs that you may not expect. It’s the work you don’t see that makes up the biggest percentage of most of our estimates. Here are just a few of the areas we’re talking about:
- Bringing Your Home Up To Code: Bringing your home up to code may require additional time and materials that you’re not expecting. Many contractors and DIYers remodeled area homes without permits or inspections, which means each aspect of the electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems may require additional work to pass area code requirements. This extra work costs time and money but will protect your investment.
- Electrical Upgrades: Older homes (and we’re not even talking about super old houses) weren’t built to run all the appliances and technologies of modern 21st-century living. Current estimates indicate most homes use 30% more electricity now than previously, and you may need to upgrade your panel box to accommodate current needs.
- Encountering The Unexpected: During demolition, we may find additional issues like mold, termite damage, water damage and more. Resolving those issues is the right thing to do, but it may take more time and materials.
- Updating Insulation: Fiberglass insulation breaks down over time, so it just makes sense to reinsulate when we’re remodeling your home. Estimates vary depending on the size of your space, but you can count on insulation costing several thousands of dollars. The benefit, though, is that improved insulation saves you energy which saves you money down the line.
- Flooring Issues: Squeaking, sloped and damaged subflooring will cost some time and materials to fix. It’s worth it in the end when you don’t have to step over a squeaky spot or tell friends and family to be careful on a sloping bathroom floor.
Ready to start planning your remodeling project? Contact our team to get started today!